Monday, August 23, 2010

Women's Group

I am very excited to say, that my village has decided they want to start a women's group. I was a bit nervous at first as only one lady approached me with the idea, but it has gone really well. I set out on an adventure to invite every lady in my village to our first meeting about a month ago, and after about a week and a half I manage to get through all 40 households. Those ladies like to talk!

So we have had about three meetings now, and have successfully elected officers. We do not have any kind of income generating project in mind for the future, right now they really just want to take trainings on how to cook different foods. To me that is really exciting! I am excited for the opportunity to teach them to cook different things, and bring in other to help. The diet here is pretty limited, and could without much additions be made a lot healthier. We also plan to bring someone in to teach them to make coconut oil, at their request.

I am enjoying working with the ladies. We have a really good mix of about 12 or so ladies from a few different families participating. At the moment it is pretty much a cooking club, but you know that works for me if that is what they want. :)



coming soon (hopefully): 1 year in Belize update!

No comments:

Post a Comment