Monday, August 23, 2010

Li Ch'ina Ch'o

It may be more accurate to entitle this blog "Eb li Ch'o" (The rats) instead of the little rat, as I definitely have at least three now. I like to think of them as just one little one, though :)

So the battle with the rats has continued and I am pretty sure I am down about 5000 to 1. I was alright and just getting used to having a rat in the house until he ate a hole in the piece of foam I use as a mattress. That was a bit annoying. So was him finding his way into every possible place I have found to hide my vegetables. Stealing two bandanas and my shirt to make his nest was kind of sad too, along with the pieces of plastic I use to pat out tortillas. I managed to recover all of those things as we pulled out three different rats nests.

So one day my good friend Safaria who owns my house told me to come over and borrow some poison to put in the middle of balls of flour. She said the rat would eat them and it would all be over. So I went to her house and made a few little balls of uncooked flour tortilla, her husband filled them with poison as he was concerned I would poison myself. They have this weird idea that I am clumsy or something, I don't know hehe. Anyway I took all five balls and put them in my house in places I see the rat, and the next morning all five balls were gone! I was so excited. Unfortunately there are no dead rats. On top of everything there are now three rats instead of just one. How do you poison a rat with that much poison and it survive?!! Since then I have just been putting out the trap, but with no success.

Last night when I got back from my weekend away, I found my house smelling like dead animal, and again got excited that maybe my rat problem was over. Unfortunately, though I found a dead, half-eaten frog. I hate rats!

My house owner and his sons came over this morning and we chased the rats around the house with machetes, but eventually they went away (it really was amusing). They will come back, but eventually they will die. If they would peacefully live in my ceiling alright, but they just can't seem to handle keeping to themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the fact that you were excited that your house smelled like a dead animal is, well...NOT NORMAL! At least your life is not boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't excited it smelled like dead animal, I was excited at the idea of the rats being dead! But thank you, I appreciate your regular reminders of what is not normal :)

    ReplyDelete