Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"You are the clumsiest person I know"

I got an email from Amy today and she let me know that I am the clumsiest person she knows (and that I need to write more blogs). I want to say she is worse, but unfortunately probably not. I think it may be one of the contributors to why we have been such good friends for so many years, though. That and she is awesome.

So I am pretty much the clumsiest person alive. About two weeks ago I re-hernieted two disks in my back. I feel like that injury shouldn't be attributed to clumsiness since we can't pinpoint anything I did to cause it to happen. It has been six years since I first injured it, and I just slowly over the course of a couple days started having more and more pain. Eventually I decided it wasn't going away and was pretty unbearable. Unfortunately there is no way to call from my village so I rode the bus into town and called the doctor. She had me flown to belize city and I had my very first hospital stay. I stayed in town for a few days trying to recover a bit and amusing my friends with my overly drugged state. They drove me back to my village after 6 days away and told me I could have physical therapy in about a week after I was feeling a bit better and was in town for our volunteer conference.

This past week was the all volunteer conference. It started Monday and I found out my PT would be on Friday. Well Wednesday I managed to fall down the stairs. This hotel should not be allowed to mop the floor. It is super slick tile and there are clumsy people like me staying there. I was so scared all week that I would fall somewhere and hurt my back that when I slipped on the stairs I held on super tight with my arm so I wouldn't land on my back. Now I have an injured shoulder too :) My Peace Corps nurse informed me that I do not have her permission to have any more incidents.

Thankfully the muscles/tendons in my shoulder are starting to feel a little less stressed out, and my back is feeling quite a bit better. I had physical therapy yesterday and it hurt quite a bit, but hopefully it will help in the long run. I am glad to be seeing recovery coming in the near future so I can get back to my village and back to normal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment