Friday, September 4, 2009

quick update :)

I have been living in my training village with my host family for a week now. We come into Belmopan from Armenia every Friday so I thought I would update really quickly. I wish I could upload pictures, but it is wayyy too slow right now.

I am living in a thatch house with a great family. There is a tiny corner of the house blocked off for me (about the size of my 'bed') and the rest of the house is one room that is for my host parents and their 5 kids! The kids are 10, 7, 5, 3 and 1. It is really normal for a family to sleep in one room and not have any privacy, but they are getting used to me liking a bit of privacy here and there :)

I have a latrine that is unfortunately only about 4 feet tall, and a door that is even shorter. One of the other trainees lives next door and our families built a little circle area out of cohune leaves to give us some privacy if we want to take bucket baths instead of bathing in the river (which I really appreciate!).

Q'eqchi is a crazy language to learn, but it is getting better. It helps that my family doesn't speak English at all, and they love to study with Misty and I! It makes daily communication harder, but we seem to be learning a bit faster.

This weekend we are building a school garden and starting to build the school latrine. Our trainer gave us each a machete! (I know it sounds like a really dangerous gift for me, right?) So tomorrow will be an new adventure in learning to use the machete :)

I miss you guys!

Tawil Awib (take care)

No comments:

Post a Comment